Contact us
Kansas State University
Electrical and Computer Engineering
2061 Rathbone Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506
Phone: (785) 532-5600
Fax: (785) 532-1188
Hours: 8 am-12pm, 1pm-5pm M-F


How do I check the status of my application?

Once your application has been received by the ECE Department, you will be emailed with a reference number you can use to check the status of your application on our website:

I filled out the online application form for the Graduate School. Do I need to fill out a departmental form separately?

Yes! The Department Application for Graduate Study and Assistantship form must also be submitted to be considered for admission. This form can be submitted hard copy or sent via email and can be found by clicking on the following link:

Department Graduate Study Application

What are the minimum GRE scores required to be considered for admission to the ECE Graduate Program?

GRE tests taken on or after August 1, 2011

* Verbal 145
* Quantitative 155
* Analytical 4.0

What is the minimum TOEFL score required to be considered for admission to the ECE Graduate Program?

* Paper based: 550
* iBT TOEFL (internet based) must have a minimum total score of 85 with no part below 20 on the reading, listening, and writing sections.

Can my reference letters be submitted electronically?

Reference letters may be submitted electronically with the following guidelines (there is no online form available):

* Letters must be sent directly from the references.
* Letters emailed from the applicant will NOT be accepted.
* The content of the letter may be sent as an email or scanned and sent as attachment to an email.
* All correspondence should be directed to

Can I still apply to the ECE Graduate Program if my GRE/TOEFL scores do not meet the department minimums?

Preference for admission consideration will be given to applicants who meet the department requirements. If you do not meet these requirements, your application will be considered marginal. Thus the rest of your application materials will need to be exemplary for you to be considered for admission.

If I have attended or graduated from a university in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia or Canada, do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam?

Students are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score but will be required to take the English Proficiency Test at Kansas State University if they are admitted to the university.

Am I required to submit the Affidavit of Financial Support Form to be considered for admission?

International students must submit this form filled out in full with original signatures (it cannot be faxed, scanned, or sent via email), even if you do not have any personal funds to attend Kansas State University. This form can be found on the Graduate School's website:

What research opportunities are available in the ECE department?

Faculty and students at K-State participate in research spanning the full breadth of the ECE field. For more information, please visit our website:
ECE Research

I want to defer my admission to next semester. What do I need to do?

If you wish to defer your admission, you will need to return the I-20 to our department. You will also need to submit a new Affidavit of Financial Support form. You will not need to pay an additional application fee. Please see the Graduate School's "frequently asked questions" website for more information:

Completed applications of international students should be in the hands of the graduate program by:

  • January 1 for fall (August) enrollment
  • August 1 for spring (January) enrollment
  • December 1 for summer (June) enrollment