Graduate Program FAQs

Q: How do I check the status of my application?

A: Log in to your online application.

Q: Can I start the application, save my progress and finish it later?

A: Yes. Click on "Save" or "Save & Exit" at the bottom of the screen but do NOT submit yet. You will not be able to make any changes to your application once it has been submitted. Please make sure all required materials have been uploaded prior to submitting your application.

Q: What are the minimum GRE scores required to be considered for admission to the ECE Graduate Program?

A: Verbal 145, Quantitative 155, Analytical 3.0

Q: Can the GRE requirement be waived?

A: Only if you have graduated from an ABET accredited program. Find out if your school is accredited through the ABET website.

Q: What are the English proficiency requirements?

A: iBT TOEFL (internet based) must have a minimum total score of 85 with no part below 20 on the reading, listening and writing sections. Applicants who are submitting an IELTS score must have a minimum total score of 6.5 with part scores of 6.5 or higher on the reading, listening and writing sections.

Q: Can I still apply to the ECE Graduate Program if my GRE/TOEFL scores do not meet the department minimums?

A: Preference for admission consideration will be given to applicants who meet the department requirements. If you do not meet these requirements, your application will be considered marginal. Thus the rest of your application materials will need to be exemplary for you to be considered for admission.

Q: I do not have a degree in electrical or computer engineering. Can I still apply?

A: Yes, provided you have a sufficient background in calculus, physics, differential equations and matrix theory. There are several courses a student coming from a different discipline would be asked to complete before being fully accepted in to the program. These could be ECE 410 Circuit Theory, 511 Circuit Theory II, 512 Linear Systems, 525 Electronics, 526 Electronics II, 530 Control System Designs, 540 Applied Scientific Computing, 557 Electromagnetic Theory and 581 Energy Conversion.

Q: If I have attended or graduated from a university in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia or Canada, do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam?

A: Students are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score if they have graduated from a U.S. university within the last two years. If you attended an English speaking university outside of the U.S. and English is not your primary language, then a TOEFL or IETLS score is still required.

Q: Am I required to submit the Affidavit of Financial Support Form to be considered for admission?

A: International students must submit this form filled out in full, even if you do not have any personal funds to attend Kansas State University. This form can be found on the Graduate School website.

Q: What research opportunities are available in the ECE department?

A: Faculty and students at K-State participate in research spanning the full breadth of the ECE field. For more information, please visit our research page.

Q: I want to defer my admission. What do I need to do?

A: If you wish to defer your admission, please contact You will need to return the I-20 to the Graduate School and a new Affidavit of Financial Support form is required. You will not need to pay an additional application fee if you defer admission less than one year.

Q: When should completed applications of international students should be in the hands of the graduate program by?

A: January 1 for fall (August) enrollment, August 1 for spring (January) enrollment and December 1 for summer (June) enrollment.